Lead User Interface Designer: DataScan Technologies
- Over twelve years’ experience in user interface and interaction design: creating process flows, site maps, use cases, wireframes, and prototypes for multiple web sites and applications since 1992.
- Eight years experience in all phases of application design: information architecture, design, development, usability, needs analysis, requirements gathering, documentation, project management.
- Leader and team builder, responsible for directing and participating in supervisory and collegial activities as a project manager, team manager, and as a critical resource on multiple projects
- Advanced degrees in Instructional Systems Technology (IST): Ph.D. work (all but dissertation) and master’s degree in IST, with emphasis in human-computer interaction, message design, and systems theory
- Accomplishments include supporting a Fortune 25 eBusiness organization as information architect and business analyst, acting as usability and/or interaction design lead for multiple web-based and wireless applications, and establishing a usability service organization for a 1500-person I.T. organization.
Primary user interface and interaction designer for a major rewrite of DataScan’s entire application suite.
Interaction Designer: Autotrader.com
- Redesign of major wholesale financial application (in progress)
- Redesign of an affiliated wholesale financial application (completed)
Both projects are complete redesigns of Windows thick-client applications to web-based portal applications. The completed project comprised roughly 60 screens; the larger application will comprise roughly 650 use cases and several hundred screens.
- Set direction for overall application UI structure and design
- Set and enforce all UI standards
- Articulate and illustrate use case requirements through UI documentation, including HTML page prototypes, screen flows, annotations, and site maps
- Direct and execute usability and focus groups with client groups and end-users
- Oversee small team of UI designers, including assigning and reviewing work
- Lead design and review sessions
- Communicate with technical teams to specify details of design execution
- Work across team (architecture, business analysis, systems analysis, development, QA, and senior company leadership) to identify and structure UI direction
- Technology/software platform - BEA Weblogic Portal
- Software – Dreamweaver, Visio, Photoshop, Caliber RM
- Methdologies – Modified RUP, Agile development (SCRUM)
July 2004-May 2005
Human Computer Interaction expert for web applications, including AutoTrader.com, the world’s leading online classifieds site.
- Advertising application for regional vehicle advertising groups.
This project supported the company by providing incremental income gains through expanded advertising offerings.
- Provided human-computer interaction expertise by creating process flows,wireframes, use cases, and visual designs
- Worked with business and technical teams to define and interpret business and functional requirements for the overall application.
- Worked with business partners and technical team to turn business requirements into a technical solution.
- Inventory application for dealership partners.
This project was an update to an existing application that allowed the company to provide updated features and services to dealerships as a foundation for increasing revenues from dealer contracts.
- Created process flows, wireframes, site maps, use cases and visual designs
- Directed the work of a visual design team
- Worked with business partners to clarify business requirements and then to translate them into technical documentation for use by developers.
- Dealer research initiative.
In-process user research initiative to gain deeper understanding of dealer needs and expectations for online sales.
- Worked with a cross-functional team to conduct interviews, interpret interview and survey results, and to propose solutions for identified opportunities.
Usability Lead: The Home Depot
July 2000-June 2004
Information architect, business analyst, and usability lead for a Fortune 25 company, primarily for the eBusiness group, with responsibility for Homedepot.com, Expo.com, and other revenue-generating web sites.
Requirements and Design
- Produced business and technical requirements, user research, design documents (including use cases, process flows, and wireframes), and prototype designs
- Designed applications for traditional web browsers (internal and external use), PDAs, touch-screens, kiosks, and store PCs
- Customer-facing web sites
- Created requirements documentation, use cases, UI designs and process flows for multiple projects, including homedepot.com redesign projects, expo.com, mwh.com, and others
- Project manager on several projects, including initial rollout of expo.com
- Portal (Websphere Portal, Documentum content management system)
- Designed a standard user interface for all Home Depot portals
- Established a UI standard for future design work
- Worked with Portal teams on information architecture planning and implementation
- Directing the use of the usability lab, including managing usability tests and project teams' usability work, and training other associates (approximately three to four projects a month).
- Providing expert and heuristic usability analyses, and traditional qualitative usability studies and analyses for multiple projects
- Three years as part of a requirements and project management team for Home Depot’s eBusiness group, collecting business and technical requirements and managing select projects. Requirements work focused on UI and interaction design aspects of web sites and applications.
- Project manager for web site rollouts, including EXPO.com
- First member of the Usability Center of Excellence
- Directed resource work
- Maintained communications across multiple projects
- Established and maintained UI standards and documentation requirements for the enterprise
- Developed and published a usability process for THD's newly revised software development lifecycle
Projects and work areas
- Home Depot Appliances site
- National Blinds site
- Georgia Lighting site
- Websphere Portal Intranet
- Documentum enterprise implementation
- POS enterprise application
- Siebel enterprise implementation
- Wireless device applications
- Usability lab standards
- SDLC planning
- Security and LDAP planning
- Accessibility and Section 508 compliance
|Platforms include Broadvision, Java, Websphere, .NET, DB2, UNIX, plus others, for internal and customer-facing applications. Broad exposure to a complex e-commerce enterprise at a decision-making and development level. Acted as primary I.T. contact for accessibility and accommodation issues.
Communications and Training Technology, Faculty:
University of Northern Iowa, Walden University
August 1998- June 2000
- Taught large (360+) and small (15-student) undergraduate and graduate courses
- Participated in cross-functional projects touching on multiple departments and organizations throughout the university
- Participated in professional activities, including research, conference presentations, hiring and search committees, and curriculum planning
- Mentored, advised and evaluated students, including approximately 40 graduate students
Web designer/researcher/trainer: Indiana University
August 1994-July 1998
- Coordinated and led analysis, design, development and usability teams on large and small-scale web sites
- Taught staff, faculty, and students professional web design skills
- Consulted with faculty and staff on web design and delivery issues
Media/web designer: Freelance
General media and web design
- (1997) Instructional Systems Technology Ph.D. program: Indiana University (all but dissertation)
- Human-computer interaction, task analysis, usability testing, cognitive psychology, systems design and theory, evaluation, instructional design, and policy.
- M.Ed. (1993) Instructional Technology: University of Georgia
- Message design, multimedia authoring, video editing, photography, instructional design, and cognition
- A.B.J. (1991) Journalism: University of Georgia
- Writing in multiple formats, editing, photojournalism, and advertising
- HTML - 12 years
- Prototyping and design tools: Dreamweaver, Visio, PhotoShop, Fireworks, iRise
- Windows and Macintosh platform proficiency
- Productivity software: MS Project, Acrobat, MS Office Suite, plus additional helper and utility programs
- Presented at national and regional professional conferences, with extensive experience presenting to large and small groups
- Published author in professional journals and books
- Experience planning and implementing training for adults
- Participated in hiring search committees
- Conversational German