The following projects represent a sample of the web-based projects I have been involved with. Not here are numerous proprietary applications, print-based instructional design projects, published papers and book chapters, and many professional presentations.
For DataScan, I redesigned three Windows applications from desktop to a web-based apps. I had the opportunity to redesign from the ground up, with extensive authority and responsibility for the entire user interface. I work closely with business and systems analysts, developers and QA resources to design and document the user experience. The applications comprise over 400 use cases and approximately 200 user tasks, each of which had their own interaction design documentation produced.
EXPO Design Center. Project manager and information architect for site.
Maintenance Warehouse. Information architect, user interface designer for site.
Home Depot. Minor input only; primarily work in search, checkout processes.
PLEASE NOTE!!! I have included these links as reference to the companies; any visual designs shown here supersede the work I did several years ago.
Internal projects include
NCTM Prototype (1998)
Retrospective opinion: The graphics aren't too great, but I was happy to get both frames and image maps working back in1997. The search results page I'm particularly proud of - I do believe that more work should go into the design of database/search results layout than you usually find.
This is an archived copy as it seems the original disappeared into the web ether.
Retrospective opinion: I think the content is great but I cringe a little at the layout and design, and the navigation is, um, challenging. If you visit this site you'll notice I'm changing the layout - old is big and gray, new is smaller and white with row colors on the tables.
I was almost exclusively involved in the front-end needs analysis of this project. We did a series of focus groups in the region to determine potential user interest in a site that would support technology use in schools in Indiana. We then developed, administered, and analyzed a statewide survey based on our focus group findings. The results guided the development of the final site, to which I contributed early versions of training materials for users.
Retrospective opinion: This was an extremely rewarding experience because we really got a very good handle on the issues affecting teacher use of technology and the web. We would never have thought to deal with some of the issues that were raised in the focus groups. If there's time, I think that every major web development project should include something like this step.
Indiana University School of Education (1996)School of Education
This site was redesigned using the same protocols as the IU site (below). We researched the needs of students, faculty and staff accessing the site to determine an appropriate site structure. Then, we developed and usability tested the site to confirm the design. My primary responsibility was working with the needs assessment. designing pages, and coordinating team activities.
Retrospective opinion: This site was the product of a lot of hours and research. Our biggest hassle was dealing with the graphic design team, who had art backgrounds and knew or cared little about file size, screen size, or the needs of the site in general.
Indiana University Bloomington (1995)
I've pointed to the site as it stands now, which has been remodeled since (however, our site design was used from August 1995 to May 2000, an extraordinarily long time in web terms).
Retrospective opinion: Wow. We did an enormous amount of work and I discovered the importance of simplicity in design, usability testing, and working with clients. We argued strongly against a large graphic which was eventually placed on the main page - we thought it took up too much screen space, was long to download, and wasn't "part of the narrative." But the clients won that argument. We got to put in place a very well-documented navigation structure.