A Shameless Gripe
I'm growing a little concerned about the number of books out there marketed for people who describe themselves as idiots. Did you know there are hundreds of these books out there? Now, I've really got nothing against the idea behind them: they started out as a respectable line of computer application books, attempting to explain various software packages in simple English. Not a bad thing. However, when the line took off, some wise guy got the bright idea to expand it into non-computer topics. To their credit, most of them are things that are also a little complicated for the average biped, such as Eastern Philosophy or Shakespeare. But some of them, well...do we reallyneed a book on these topics?
- Complete Idiot's Guide to Being a Model - drop thirty pounds and walk around wearing overpriced and hideous clothing
- Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Faithful - just don't cheat, ok?
- Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Psychic - don't get me started on this one...
- Complete Idiot's Guide to Gambling Like a Pro - first of all, pros don't take gambling advice from a book with 'Idiot' in the title, but they'll be happy to gamble with you
- Complete Idiot's Guide to New Millennium Predictions - can you say "remainder shelf?"